Saturday, November 24, 2018

Nama is Nom Nom

In March of 2017 I made a journey that at certain points in my life would have seemed nothing more than a dream. Given the opportunity to travel to Okinawa, Japan I knew that the food would be central to that travel experience. I made the long flight overseas to Japan, impressed already by the service and food provided on my flight by Asiana Airlines. Upon arriving it was afternoon in Okinawa and I was picked up by a dear friend from the roller derby world. Wiliana took me STRAIGHT to a local ramen shop called Kyoto Ramen where I had my first delicious bowl of authentic ramen. The red spicy broth, the perfectly cooked sliced pork, the noodles and green onions all melded together to create an experience that I can only describe as life changing.
Spicy Ramen - Kyoto Ramen, Okinawa
Flash forward to a couple of weeks later and I am back in San Antonio, Texas knowing deep in my heart that the likelihood of ever experiencing that type of authentic ramen was indeed very low. I tried various places in the months that followed and while some were delicious in their own way, none came close to what I had discovered in Japan. How could it? I live so far from the source that I wa convinced that I would have to return to Japan if I was ever to enjoy that bowl of culinary magic ever again.

One day I was told of a place right here in San Antonio that allegedly had authentic ramen. People spoke of its authenticity with looks of bliss on their faces. I was not moved. Surely this would be just another attempt among a trail of failures I had endured since returning home. The idea persisted however as time and again whenever I would speak of my Okinawa ramen experience the name of this shop would come up. Always the ramen was spoken of with such reverence that eventually I knew I had to try it. I needed to know, if only to say thank you, but no thank you. 

I entered Nama Ramen and immediately knew something was different. First, the place was packed, that had to be a good sign. Second, everyone in the place had a large bowl in front of them which meant they were specifically here for the ramen. Third, and most telling, was that the menu clearly put the ramen from and center on its own page, almost daring you to not try it. I mean there was sushi on the menu, some appetizers that sounded delicious, but the font on the page that said RAMEN yelled at you as if to say "THIS is why you are here". 



Okonomiyaki Fries
Spicy Bacon Edamame
I opened with an order of spicy bacon edamame and okonomiyaki fries which were indeed french fries covered in kewpie mayo, okonomiyaki sauce, furikake and shaved bonito flakes. GLORIOUS start to the meal. Then came the ramen. A spicy chicken and miso broth with pulled pork shoulder, corn, ajitama, bean sprouts and green onions. I added a soft boiled egg and pork belly as well as rayu oil and a concoction called a spice bomb to add to the heat level. I took the first spoonful of broth and immediately I knew my journey to recapture the Okinawa ramen experience had come to its destination. The broth was deep with flavor and rich in its complexity. So many layers of flavor were added by the various additions as well as texture components brought by the sprouts, green onions and noodles. I cannot begin to describe how happy I was to have made my way to this place. 
Rayu Oil and Spice Bomb
Spicy Chicken and Miso Ramen

 The experience was only made better by a subsequent visit when I learned that you could order your ramen "yakuza" style by adding a chili concoction that includd habanero chilies. That added to the spicy chicken and miso broth created a fiery hell broth of such heat that it made me feel lightheaded while eating, but in the very best of ways. Amidst all of that heat and spice what was not lost was any flavor. Every element shown through and I knew I had found my place of ramen zen. That time I also had karaage, deep fried dark meat chicken, as an appetizer. So delicious and a good starter for what ended up being another great meal.

Karaage
Spicy Yakuza Style Ramen










As a fan of spicy food I have to tell you, that heat was something else. Thankfully, right next door, is a FANTASTIC Hong Kong style waffle and ice cream shop to tame the heat. More on Kuma Ice Cream in a future post. For now, get on over to Nama, especially during these cooler months and I promise you will not regret it. 

Until next time, remember, eat with a passion, cook with your heart and remember,

Food Is Love!



No comments: