Friday, July 26, 2024

Waffle House Is My Homeboy


 I spend A LOT of time on the road throughout the year and as such I generally have a rule about where I will eat. I tend to live by the rule that if it’s a place I can get a meal at home, then I need to avoid it. I get to go to so many unique places that I would be remiss if I didn’t choose local, home grown restaurants. This means that for the most part chain restaurants are a no-no on my travels. The key phrase in that last sentence of course is “for the most part”.

The one place I almost ALWAYS have to stop at, if it is anywhere within distance of my hotel on the morning of any return trip, is the Waffle House. I’ll pause here for a moment and let you have whatever reaction you choose to have. If like me, you are a fan, then fantastic! If you are not, I get it, and it’s okay for you to keep reading. I still adore you. 

I wish I could say that my love for Waffle House began at a young age, but I am from San Antonio, Texas, born and raised. I have lived here my entire life. So the truth is, I discovered Waffle House and my love for it about 6 years ago, when I began my almost weekly road trips. This is probably the best place to just come out and say that while it is called Waffle House, the one thing I do not like at said Waffle House is, *drum roll please*… the waffles. “WHAT?” you ask? How is this possible? I like my waffle on the less sweet side. That’s really all it comes down to.

For me, its the cheesy eggs with sausage and raisin toast that get my vote. Every so often I will indulge in the steak and eggs or pork chops and, yep you guessed it, eggs. Over medium eggs are not easy to do and I have yet to find the Waffle House (and I have been to MANY) that doesn’t get it right every single time.  

A large part of the appeal of course is the ability to sit at a counter and watch all of the goings on of the kitchen right before your very eyes. The staff are a reflection of whatever community you are in, and it is not hard to figure out who that local Waffle House’s regular customers are. The environment is always pleasant and welcoming and one that I personally feel is like a hand in a warm glove kind of feeling for me.

Someday I might even figure out how the ordering process goes, another unique aspect of this restaurant. I am always amazed at how the cooks can not only have 8 to 10 meals going at a time, but their ability to decipher the coded orders that are called out to them in what seems like an unending barrage as the busy time of the morning hits. It is always a fascinating experience to me. 

Did I mention that they are pretty good at dinner too? I had one of the best patty melts I have ever had at a Waffle House. Listen, I can’t explain why to me the food is so good. What I can explain is how much I welcome the sight of that familiar yellow sign that beckons to me as I pass by on the highway. It is a beacon I find hard to resist, but am able to at times because in some of the places I travel to they seem to be at every exit.

Whatever your feelings about the Waffle House may be, I know that as I journey through this wonderful country, I never fail to look for one close by. Have I had better food at other places? Sure. But I don’t want to miss out on feeling at home, reading, eating breakfast and drinking my coffee. That for me is the Waffle House experience. It feels like home, on the road.

No comments: